BANGKOK, 9 December 2014 —— The Honda Khiang Khang Thai Fund (HKKT Fund) under the Honda Thailand Foundation, in collaboration with the Ministry of Interior (MOI) and the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM), organised a flood and cold weather relief caravan as part of the “HKKT Fund – MOI Flood and Cold Relief 2014-2015 Programme” to distribute essential items and equipment for relief efforts including 110,000 items of blankets and sweaters, 16,000 survival bags, 56 boats and rubber boats with Honda engines, Honda water pumps, Honda generators, and other items worth a total of THBaht 42.6 million. The caravan reached out to communities in several provinces including Chiang Mai, Lampoon, Lampang, Tak, Phitsanulok, Loei, Nongbualamphu, Udonthani, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Mahasarakam and Nakhon Ratchasima. In addition, relief items were distributed via Provincial Offices of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation in 37 provinces throughout the nation.
Managing Director of the Honda Khiang Khang Thai Fund, Pitak Pruittisarikorn said, “Without the MOI and DDPM’s support, the HKKT Fund would not be able to distribute relief supplies thoroughly and effectively and take measures for those living in the most affected areas, so we are grateful for their benevolent partnerships. For the upcoming cold weather, we are ready to continue the ‘HKKT Fund – MOI Flood and Cold Relief 2014-2015 Programme’ to distribute warm clothing in a timely manner to those living in the provinces affected by cold weather. On the occasion of the company’s 50th anniversary, Honda will continue to conduct a variety of activities and campaigns through the HKKT Fund to demonstrate our gratitude to all Thai customers. Honda will also remain committed to initiating new technologies and innovations in parallel with being environmentally friendly to thank Thai customers for their confidence in Honda by delivering them happiness as part of our commitment to grow side by side with Thai society.”
The Honda Khiang Khang Thai Fund has accumulated a total of THBaht 762 million from the period of 1 April 2012 until 30 September 2014. The Fund has grown due to a contribution being made every time a Honda product is sold in Thailand. Honda contributes to the Fund 1,000 Baht for every Honda car sold, THBaht 100 for every Honda motorcycle sold, and 10 Baht for every Honda power product sold.
The Fund has undertaken activities in four major areas that are beneficial for people affected by natural disasters, including:
1) providing funds;
2) contributing materials;
3) building a collaborative network; and
4) enhancing knowledge for responding to natural disasters.
The total spending on humanitarian activities under the Fund has reached over THBaht 100 million.
Activities the Honda Khiang Khang Thai Fund has undertaken to date include:
1. Financial support of THBaht 14.425 million for the Chaipattana Foundation for the construction of the Khok Samrong Kaem Ling project to honour His Majesty the King and his mission of the conservation of water resources.
2. A donation of THBaht 28 million for people affected by the cold in 2012-2013.
3. Distributing of survival bags valued at THBaht 12 million to people affected by floods in northeastern, central and northern Thailand in 2013.
4. Donating 30 flat-bottom boats powered by Honda marine engines and a Honda CR-V communications vehicle, worth a total value of THBaht 6.15 million, to the DDPM.
5. Presenting ambulances modified from Honda Step WGN Spadas and Motorlances modified from high-performance and manoeuvrable Honda CBR 250R motorcycles to the National Institute of Emergency Medicine (NIEM) for faster and more efficient emergency rescue and relief operations, worth a total value of THBaht 42 million.
6. Conducting training programmes for the Thai public and youths on how to handle and manage disasters in collaboration with the DDPM in many provinces.
[Source : Honda]