– ESTACA, Institut d’Optique Graduate School, Strate – School of Design, launch at the initiative of Renault, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Valeo and Automotive Lighting Rear Lamps a chair dedicated to innovative vehicle lighting systems.
– This new chair will benefit from a three-year budget of € 1.960 million.
– The faculty will offer a high-level international training curriculum for those wishing to specialise in the field of vehicle lighting systems.
– The first students will begin classes in September 2015 and will graduate one year later.
– The chair is bound to deliver a Master’s degree recognised by the Conférence des Grandes Écoles, an association of leading French higher-education institutions.
Vehicle embedded lighting systems, high value-added and innovative technologies
The vehicle lighting sector is currently undergoing major change with the development of new technologies like LED lights, as well as new and complex lighting systems functionalities. This changing landscape provides an opportunity to explore new avenues for innovation based on lasers, smart lighting solutions and new lighting functionalities.
In a highly competitive international context, the chair will meet the need for advanced skills of all players in the value chain: car manufacturers, lighting systems and components suppliers, and engineering service providers.
Therefore, four industry leaders and three higher-education institutions decided to join forces to develop a high-level international programme designed for training cross-skilled engineers for the field of vehicle embedded lighting systems. The training structures are strongly connected to research and actively supported by industrial players. It is fully integrated with the Plateforme de la Filière Automobile, a French platform dedicated to the automotive sector.
“This new chair builds a bridge between academic and industrial partners in France to develop a world-class international training course, run by leading experts in the field and perfectly suited to meet industry needs,” explained Faculty Chair Jean-Paul Ravier. “It will also be a catalyst to accelerate advanced research in vehicle embedded lighting systems through the interaction of multiple complementary skills.”
Five skill-oriented teaching units for vehicle embedded lighting systems
– Optics and Photonics for Lighting, steered by the Institut d’Optique Graduate School
– On-Board Systems, steered by ESTACA
– Transportation Technologies, steered by ESTACA
– Lighting System Design, steered by Strate – School of Design
– System Projects, steered by ESTACA
The dynamics of the Saclay platform, near Paris, in an international environment
The faculty will be based in Saclay, near Paris, in the heart of a high-growth area offering dense and diversified scientific and technological potential. Classes, tutorials and labs will be hosted at ESTACA, Institut d’Optique Graduate School and Strate – School of Design.
The partnership’s research laboratory will be located on the premises of Institut d’Optique Graduate School in Palaiseau, France.
The first class will graduate from the new faculty in September 2016.
[Source : Renault]