– Dane digs deep to secure deserved victory.
PERTH, Australia, 26 October 2014 —-– Danish Thorbjørn Olesen produced a gritty, determined final round 71 to secure his first win in 2014 at the ISPS Handa Perth International on the European Tour.
The win was also a first for the new Nike Golf Vapor Pro irons, as Olesen peppered the greens on all four days in Australia.
Olesen went into the final day three shots clear of his nearest opponent at the top of the leaderboard, following scores of 64, 69 and 67 in the first three rounds thanks in part to some aggressive iron play and clinical work on the greens.
As impressive as Olesen had been Thursday-through-Saturday, it was his ability to dig deep on Sunday that was perhaps the most remarkable aspect of his performance. He showcased his competitive nature in particular during a three-hole stretch from the 13th to the 15th as he recorded two birdies and an incredible par save to retain a clear lead ahead of the field.
The 24-year-old’s ball-striking was impressive throughout the week, showcasing his stunning play at the Lake Karrinyup Country Club.
Interestingly, Olesen also relied on his #2 iron during the tournament, allowing him to hit towering approach shots even when attacking the flag from longer distances. He also relied on his #3 and #5 fairway woods, as he plotted his way around the 7,143-yard track in Western Australia.
Olesen’s control of the golf ball was a feature of his play over the four rounds, as he notched 22 birdies on his way to winning score of 17-under-par.
“The feel of the ball is outstanding, especially around the greens where I’m able to spin it a little more,” said Olesen, who displayed his short-game mastery no better than on the par-five third hole on Saturday, chipping in from off the green for a confidence-boosting birdie.
The victory was Olesen’s first since he won the 2012 Sicilian Open.
Olesen’s Nike Golf Arsenal
Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Tour 9.5-degree
Fairway Wood: Nike Vapor Speed 3-wood/15-degree; Nike Vapor Speed 5-wood/19-degree
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 2-iron; Nike Vapor Pro (3-9)
Wedges: VR Forged 46-degree, 54-degree, 59-degree
Putter: Nike Method 001
Ball: Nike RZN Black
Apparel: Nike Golf Sport/Performance Collection
Footwear: Nike Lunar Control II
Nike Golf’s 2014 PGA Tour Victories
– Russell Henley – Honda Classic
– Seung-Yul Noh – Zurich Classic
– Rory McIlroy – The Open Championship
– Rory McIlroy – WGC – Bridgestone Invitational
– Rory McIlroy – PGA Championship
Nike Golf’s 2014 International Victories
– Charl Schwartzel – Alfred Dunhill Championship (European Tour)
– Ross Fisher – Tshwane Open (European Tour)
– Rory McIlroy – BMW PGA Championship (European Tour)
– Xin-Jun Zhang – Beijing Open (PGA Tour China)
– Paul Casey – The KLM Open (European Tour)
– Hao Tong Li – Jianye Tianzhu Henan Open (PGA Tour China)
– Hao Tong Li – Nanshan China Masters (One Asia)
– Thorbjørn Olesen – ISPS Handa Perth International (European Tour)
Nike Golf’s 2014 LPGA Tour Victories
– Michelle Wie – LPGA LOTTE Championship
– Michelle Wie – U.S. Women’s Open
Nike Golf’s 2014 Ladies International Victories
– Cheyenne Woods – Volvic RACV Ladies Masters
Located at NIKE’s World Headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon, Nike Golf designs and markets golf equipment, apparel, balls, footwear, bags and accessories worldwide. Nike Golf is passionately dedicated to ushering in the future of this great sport by developing ground-breaking innovations that enable and inspire athletes to become better.
[Source : Nike Golf]